- LOCATION: Under the Grandstand
- CASH PRIZES: First ($7), Second ($4), Third ($3)
- RIBBONS: First through fourth places
PREPARING YOUR SKEIN
Spin your fiber and wash your skein. After drying, re-skein your yarn and tie it loosely in two places in a figure eight. Do not wind your yarn into a tight skein prior to entering in the competition.
- TIMING: Skeins should have been spun since June 1 of last year
- LENGTH: Each skein must be a minimum of one yard in circumference
- WEIGHT: Each skein should weigh a minimum of two ounces for medium and bulky; and one ounce for fine
- No commercial yarn except for Category D
ENTERING YOUR SKEIN
- LIMIT: A maximum of two entries per class will be accepted per entrant
- WHEN: On-grounds entries will be accepted Saturday from 10-11am
- ENTRY FEE: $3.00/skein
- ENTRY FORM: Use our online system to prepare one entry for each skein prior to registration at the show
- JUDGING: Judging will take place Saturday at 12:00
- AFTER JUDGING: Skeins may be picked up on Sunday beginning at 2 pm and must be picked up no later than 4 pm through the check-out committee. If you would like your skein returned by mail, please supply a pre-paid envelope when entering.
For all categories except D & E, skeins should be classed as Fine (F), Medium (M) or Bulky (B). To help determine which class of fine, medium, or bulky your skein belongs, a yarn sample chart will be available at check-in.
Singles not plied at least 50% Sheep Wool. List fibers on entry.
Two or more plies spun into a traditional yarn at least 50% Sheep Wool. List Fibers on entry.
Spinners choice of fiber and ply. List fibers on entry.
Novelty yarn: boucle, knot, spiral, slub, cable; spinner choice. A commercial yarn with a handspun yarn may be used for this class. Identify the commercial on entry.
Novice spinner: spinning one year or less: single or plied, at least 50% Sheep Wool. List fibers on entry.
Spindle Spinning: Singles or plied yarn. Must be at least 50% sheep wool. If a plied yarn, spindle plied is not required (may be plied using a wheel). List fibers on entry.
E Spinning: Singles or plied yarn. Must be at least 50% sheep wool.List fibers on entry.
Great Lakes Fiber Show will NOT be responsible for loss or damage to skeins. A responsible person will be attending the skein tables during show hours and the building will be locked at night.